I have just started reading the Tightwad Gazette and it is really interesting. I am going to share a few of the things I have read so far.
- To save money you need to spend fewer dollars than you earn.
- The “Don’t save more, earn more” philosophy is avery one sided approach. And it has one big flaw. Nearly everyone that earns more automatically spends more.
- Telling you to earn more instead of saving more is like saying “Don’t eat less, exercise more.”
- When I learned that walking a mile burned up the same amount of calories as in an apple I wondered how many miles I would have to run to burn the calories in a candy bar. It made more sense to give up the candy bar
- Most Americans are running to burn up candy bars. They are running out of the house, running to the daycare center, running on the job.. so they can afford candy bars and Nintendo games, meals at McDonald’s and designer sneakers.
- The solution is to find the right balance of earning more and saving more
This really makes sense to me.. I have been sitting here agonizing over the fact that we are always broke.. and hubby is always worried about money.. I don’t want to work outside the house. I don’t want to put Anna into daycare.. I want to stay home and teach her and spend time with her and my family. I don’t want the added stress of an outside job. I really hope this book will teach me a thing or two about saving.
Ok.. it is time for me to go to bed.. the storm is over, (I think) and it is 1am here.. Goodnight everyone